This page has moved to a new address.

Ruffle Fleece Scarf {Tutorial}

Sew Woodsy: Ruffle Fleece Scarf {Tutorial}

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Ruffle Fleece Scarf {Tutorial}

I found this tutorial the other week on Honey Scrap, and was instantly intrigued. We've had a rather cold winter here in Florida and I've been wearing my only fleece scarf day in and out. Since I recently organized my fabric I knew I had some fleece on hand, so this project essentially cost me anything to make! Whenever a project says it's going to take "x" number of minutes/hours. I typically tend to double the time projected! This took Honey Scrap 15 minutes--it took me about 30 minutes (but I can honestly say I was semi-distracted, so with that being said it actually might have only taken me 15 minutes)! 

Supplies needed:
-1 yard {cut} fleece for scarf 
-2 yards {cut} of fleece for ruffle
-thread
-scissors
-strait pins

First you will want to measure out your fleece. I made my scarf one yard long by 8 inches wide, and I trimmed up the edge to make sure that both sides were straight and even. 

Next you will want to cut out your ruffle strip. You can do this one of two ways. Use one yard with two 4-inch pieces OR use one consecutive 2 yard piece that is 4-inches wide. Since I only had one yard of the brown I used two 4-inch wide pieces to ruffle. I then laid out my ruffles the best I could, and began pinning it. I sewed right down the center of the ruffle with a straight stitch. *I had to sew this on my dining room table... the scarf took up the length of the table!

Next, you will cut {2}12-inches long by 4-1/2 wide to add a nice ruffle on the end of each side of the scarf. Place the fleece upside down, ruffle, and pin. Sew along the edge (I believe I used a 1/4 inch inseam). 

After your done sewing the ruffle edge; fold the ruffled end down and your finished! *You can finish off the tops of the ruffles by straight stitching on the edge of the red portion of the scarf.  

Here is a picture of myself and our Yorkie, Lola, modeling the ruffle scarf. 
*I actually made this one for a friend for her birthday! 

I made a unique scarf for myself that was a tad different; alternate colors, two rows of ruffles on the end with a little rosette embellishment. I used my pinking shears to add texture to the ends of the red ruffles. 

Here is a picture of me modeling my new scarf! 

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At January 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Tanya said...

cute!

 
At January 30, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

so cute and even better that you made it yourself, what a wonderful gift!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 11:19 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is adorable!~Lori

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Monika Wright said...

so cute and even better that you made it yourself, what a wonderful gift!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home