This page has moved to a new address.

DIY Fabric Bolts {Mini Tutorial}

Sew Woodsy: DIY Fabric Bolts {Mini Tutorial}

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

DIY Fabric Bolts {Mini Tutorial}

For the past 6 months we have been working on redoing our (well really, let's face it MY) craft room. I have looked at ALL things organization and a few months ago one of my favorite blogs, Smashed Peas and Carrots did a post on studio organization and mini fabric bolts. As soon as I read Maggie's post I knew this is what I needed to do in my craft room! Then, recently, I saw that Budget Wise Home who has kicked off the new year with all things organizational did a post as well. They featured The Little Green Bean who had cleaned up there fabric piles with DIY Fabric Bolts as well with a fabulous tutorial!

Coincidentally, over the Holidays I finally finished my DIY fabric bolts! Depending on how much fabric you have will depend on how long this takes! I had received some free foam core a while back when my office building was moving. The foam core had some dents in it and they were in a trash pile. Me, being the apparent hoarder I am, and knowing that foam core can get quite expensive piled as much as I possibly could into my car to bring home. It found a home in our attic, and we've used it for a few Halloween projects! A few months ago I cut up the first board of bolts, but with a dull exact-o blade they came out rough and rigid! I wrapped a few fabrics, and instantly was over the fabric organizational project! I'm not sure if it was me persuading Mr. Woodsy to do some cutting or at the fact that he was tired of looking at a mound of fabric, but on a whim during our holiday break he had {within minutes} cut up some foam core, and brought me a pile of "fabric bolts"... and within a half hour I had used them all up and needed more cut! Ultimately, I think I filled almost 50 bolts on my book case. 

I don't believe that there is a standard size for this project. Depending on your shelf space will depend on how large your bolt can be. I wanted to be able to see a little bit of the white foam core and I wanted it to fill the shelf from top to bottom. My foam core bolts measured to be just shy of 12 inches tall by 6-3/4inch long. I had a few that were smaller only because we were trying to use up all the foam core! I do have some extra left over in case I get more fabric; however, now having all my fabric neatly organized I can see that I truly have no need to buy more fabric any time soon. In fact, my goal is to try to use some of this fabric before I go out and buy any more (that's going to be the challenging part--fabric calls my name)! I have quite a few cute projects in mind, and if I ever want new fabric I better use what I already own!

Visit thecsiproject.com

Labels: , , ,

22 Comments:

At January 18, 2011 at 7:52 AM , Blogger Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

I have seen this done a few times around the bloggy world and looks so great! I just organized my ribbons and now I need to do my fabric as well. You have a beautiful collection of fabric :D

I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

 
At January 18, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Janet said...

What a great and awesome idea. I have vowed not to start any projects until my home is organized and I have a basket with fabric just piled in it. This just made my list.

Off to check out the links. Janet :)

 
At January 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Kharlie Bug said...

This is such a great idea. I have soooo much fabric that this would be perfect to organize it Thank you for sharing!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Kristen, pajama mama said...

great idea!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Christie describeHappy said...

So pretty to be able to see all your fabrics. Nice way to browse through them and grab a few!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 1:16 PM , Blogger BumbleVee said...

Much better than folding ..sort of...and piling into plastic containers... where you can't find anything...never know what you have and then...go out and buy some more...

However...having said that....I would probably need to do a reduced or maybe min version of those boards and it could work. I only make dolls...and only buy small bits of fabric. Until recently I could get "point one" of a metre...but, now it is "point 2" as they like to call it. I should just purge lots of it... and.. maybe that is the best idea yet. One of the doll groups I belong to has just organized a swap area on the site...hmmm...yep... that would be the thing to do....

 
At January 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an excellent idea!! I wish I had the room to do that!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Megan Gunyan said...

Wow! So organized! It looks great!

I'd love for you to join my giveaway for a vintage trinket tray going on now! http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2011/01/giveaway-with-cotton-breeze.html

 
At January 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Kristina @ A Home Made by Kiki said...

Love it! I remember seeing a post about fabric organization a while ago, but I don't remember where. I have lots of fabrics that are just being stored in organizational drawers. This would work much better! I would love it if you would post it in "Simplify for the New Year" at A Home Made by Kiki! I'm your newest follower too!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this. I have to get on to sorting out my fabric this way.

 
At January 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clever!!

 
At January 20, 2011 at 3:38 PM , Blogger Kristina @ A Home Made by Kiki said...

Thank you for linking up at A Home Made by Kiki!!

 
At January 21, 2011 at 12:52 AM , Blogger Morgan said...

What a great idea! I was just thinking about what to do with my messy piles of fabric.

morganmadeit.net

 
At January 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

So fantastic, thanks for sharing!
-Marie

 
At January 21, 2011 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Christi said...

I used backer boards from the comic book store to do mine. Love this idea.

 
At January 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM , Blogger AllieMakes! said...

Love this idea! Its a great storage solution!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

 
At February 2, 2011 at 11:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is a great idea, thank you for sharing it! I definitely can put this idea into action at our house. ~Lori

 
At February 16, 2011 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Leanne said...

I love this. What a beautiful way to store fabric. I'm hosting We're Organized Wednesday through Saturday and would love for you to join the party. http://organizeyourstuffnow.com

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Lori@KitchenFunk said...

This is a great idea, thank you for sharing it! I definitely can put this idea into action at our house. ~Lori

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.co said...

what an excellent idea!! I wish I had the room to do that!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Christie, Describe Happy said...

So pretty to be able to see all your fabrics. Nice way to browse through them and grab a few!

 
At May 31, 2011 at 6:47 AM , Blogger Ursula said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my German blog. If you like feel free to check out my English blog. :-)

http://muffinsnmore.blogspot.com/

I will be back to check your blog out more closely when I have a bit more time ...

Love

Ms Muffin

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home