This page has moved to a new address.

Frosted Valentine's Day Vases {Mini Tutorial}

Sew Woodsy: Frosted Valentine's Day Vases {Mini Tutorial}

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Frosted Valentine's Day Vases {Mini Tutorial}

Last year, after receiving my cricut for Christmas (2009) I started seeing all of these blog post about cutting vinyl with the cricut! I was instantly intrigued, but at the same time quite a bit intimidated. I saw on a blog (and forgive me that I did not document which blog) how you could use etching cream, vinyl, and a plain vase to create a frosted glass! I cleaned my vases very well with hot water and soap prior to getting started on the project. I laid out newspaper on my kitchen island, and got to work!

Supplies Needed:
-Vases (I bought mine for a dollar each at the dollar store)
-Etching Cream (about $10)
-Sponge brush
-Vinyl
-Newspaper
-Sink with flowing water


In my mind I mapped out how I wanted this to look. I cut out individual phrases and shapes on my cricut using about 3 sheets of 6x12 vinyl. I can tell you that the person who blogged about this project had design studio where she welded everything together prior to cutting it out. I on the other hand still design studioless cut out each individual shape/phrase and applied it by hand to the glass (a little on the time consuming side). 

After I applied ALL the vinyl by hand I started rubbing a generous amount of etching cream to the vase. Well, I thought it was enough on the first vase--I later found that you really need to cake the stuff on and make sure it isn't streaky or that's the way your vase will come out. 

Me, concentrating on painting on the etching cream. 

Me, posing as I rub on the etching cream. ;) Once you have all the etching cream on you let it sit for about 20 minutes, wash the etching cream off in the sink, and then peal the vinyl off.

Here is a picture of my final product. You will see that they are all a little streaky, but I think it was a great first attempt! I used these vases for Valentine's day as a center piece on the table.  I had flowers in the middle vase, and I placed tea light candles in the other two--too not only set the mood, but give a nice glow to the table. Throughout the year (and to hold flowers throughout the year I use the LOVE vase and the Live, Laugh, Love vase to hold flowers. 

*All pictures were pre-DSLR and pre-blog. I merely documented my project to share with family and friends!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At January 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are really great! My boys would love this craft!

 
At January 15, 2011 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Mostly Food and Crafts said...

These came out great! Try using Make The Cut (a program for your cricut at make-the-cut.com) They have a demo mode you can download and try out.

 
At January 17, 2011 at 7:37 PM , Blogger Anngela said...

These are cute Katie! I love this idea :)

 
At January 20, 2011 at 5:36 AM , Blogger bikim said...

that looks so easy and the final look is gorgeous!
thanks for sharing!
Rosa

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous bikim said...

that looks so easy and the final look is gorgeous!
thanks for sharing!
Rosa

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Anngela's Pretty Little Things said...

These are cute Katie! I love this idea :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home