This page has moved to a new address.

Believe Sign {Mini Tutorial}

Sew Woodsy: Believe Sign {Mini Tutorial}

Monday, January 17, 2011

Believe Sign {Mini Tutorial}

Mr. Woodsy's company closes every year during the last two weeks of the year. This past year he was more bored than ever! So bored, that he finally tried out his scroll saw that he got Christmas of 2009! He asked me to print out a font (CACpinafore) and phrase that I liked, and he would give his scroll saw a try! 

He basically cut out the white paper and pressed firmly with a pencil to outline the black lines so that it would transfer onto some scrap pine that he had laying around in the garage! *I'm sure there is a better way to do this, so if anyone has any tips... please feel free to share!

He cut the pieces out in sections although on his second time around at the sign he was able to make it all one piece! 

After he cut out the wood he then glued all the pieces together. Then he gave it a quick sand; however, after it was painted you could see where it was glued. Anyone have any good tricks with this as well? 

He mounted the "Believe" onto a scrap piece of wood, so it would be able to stand on its own. 

We both agreed to give it a nice coat of spray paint, so I picked out a metallic silver spray paint. 

He then sprayed a few coats of the silver spray paint. 

Here is the finished product on my shelf with other Christmas decorations. The Christmas decorations are now down, but the Believe sign is staying up year round. I'm not sure if I'm not feeling the silver either... might paint it white or green. What do you think?

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At January 17, 2011 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

How fun! I love it! I think we totally need one of those saws for all the curves and angles. I had no idea it would cut so perfectly!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Crystal said...

I think this is awesome! Its so nice to have a hubby who can can get into the manly part of the crafts with you. My hubby has helped with a few lately and I love it!

 
At January 17, 2011 at 7:26 PM , Blogger Anngela said...

KT--I NEED one of these tools pronto!! I CAN NOT believe ya'll haven't pulled this out for projects and have been hiding this from us--I have a MILLION projects running in my head as we speak!!!! :) I'll make sure this is the next tool on the top of Larry's wish list ;)

On a serious note: The EASIEST way to transfer an image--Print image. Shade with a pencil on the BACK of the paper "on" the lines of the image. Tape image RIGHT side up (shading on wood). Trace over image with a pen. The shaded pencil will transfer to the wood! :) Hope that makes sense. It works every time! :)

 
At January 18, 2011 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Crafts a la Mode said...

whoa. THis is serious crafting. Very nice. Linda

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Anonymous Lisa said...

How fun! I love it! I think we totally need one of those saws for all the curves and angles. I had no idea it would cut so perfectly!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home