This page has moved to a new address.

January Craft with Me: Rosette Frame {Mini Tutorial}

Sew Woodsy: January Craft with Me: Rosette Frame {Mini Tutorial}

Sunday, January 30, 2011

January Craft with Me: Rosette Frame {Mini Tutorial}

I got quite a few craft projects completed this weekend, and one of them is one I've been wanting to work on ALL month! Ucreate hosted a few "create with me" sessions in 2010, and they are planning to host one each month in 2011!  For those of you who aren't familiar with Ucreate you should go check them out--right now! 


This month's "create" session was to create a rosette frame. I bought a very inexpensive frame a few months back at Goodwill. Actually, to be more precise I bought two wooden frames for .69 cents each! I knew I'd make something cool out of it--I just didn't know what. With some mod podge, fabric, and a little help from the cricut I made such an awesome Valentine's inspired frame. I'm super happy with how it came out and of course I love the picture I choose! That's our dog, Lola, aka the furbaby (the closest thing we have to a child, and at times I feel can be even more needy than a child). 


Supplies: 
-Picture Frame
-Scrapbook paper
-Exacto knife
-Mod Podge paper
-Foam brush
Scissors
-Fabric
-Hot Glue Gun
-Picture
*Any other embellishments you please (I pictured buttons, but changed my mind at the end of the project)

First, you will want to cut out your paper leaving a few inches on each side. 

Next, you will want to apply a generous amount of mod podge to the front of the frame, then press down firmly. *If you want your paper to lay perfectly flat you will need to watch your paper and as bubbles pop up you will need to start smoothing the paper. I on the other hand did not want the paper to be flat and I wanted the little bit of added texture. After the paper has dried to your frame {about 5 minutes} you will want to carefully use your exacto knife and cut out the center of the frame. Cut a slit on each of the corners to make it easy to wrap the inner pieces of paper. 

Next you will want to wrap the paper around the frame, applying generous coats of mod podge. Once all the sides are wrapped you will want to start applying a few thin and even coats of mod podge all around the front and sides of the frame. *This is also when I applied the "love" cut out from my cricut. 

Next, you will want to plug in your hot glue gun, cut your fabric, and tie your knots. I follower THIS tutorial, from The Secret Stitch Club, on how to make the fabric rosette (can you believe this was my first time?)! Overall, it was pretty easy and I learned a lot! 

Next, you will want to add on your embellishments. I choose to use some of Jolee's Jewel's Swarovski crystals. I dabbed a little bit of hot glue to the rosette and with tweezers from my awesome hot glue gun helpers I placed the gems on the flower. 

Here is the finished product! 

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

At January 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM , Blogger Diane Schmidt said...

Super cute! Thanks so much for the "like" on facebook!!!

 
At January 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM , Blogger Tanya said...

Love it!

 
At January 31, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger laxsupermom said...

Cute! I like the added texture, too. Thanks for sharing.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is so so so cute!! Love the picture too! Thanks so much for linking up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 9:44 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

That's adorable! Thanks so much for linking it up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

 
At February 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Very pretty and perfect for this time of the year. Thanks for joining us at A Crafty Soiree.

 
At February 5, 2011 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Ginger said...

Cute!! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

 
At February 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM , Blogger AllieMakes! said...

Super cute! I love that paper!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

 
At April 1, 2011 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Anngela said...

I love rosettes and putting them on everything!! :) :) Lola looks so cute!! <3

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Diane {Created by Diane} said...

Super cute! Thanks so much for the "like" on facebook!!!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous DISQUS Bot said...

This is an automatic message from DISQUS.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home