This page has moved to a new address.

Pleated Pouch

Sew Woodsy: Pleated Pouch

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Pleated Pouch

If you follow us on Facebook or Twitter you would know that I was up to a challenging {in my mind} project yesterday! 

Ever since I first got my sewing machine {last Christmas} I've wanted to make this pleated pouch from Skip to My Lou; however, I was beyond intimidated to sew a zipper. I put this easy-to-make project on the back burner throughout 2010. Yesterday, as I finally got to do a few crafts before leaving for a work trip today I tackled the pleated pouch! I think I did a good job overall for sewing my first ever zipper, and ultimately I learned a lot! There is definitely quite a bit of room for improvement, but I wasn't expecting this to be perfect on my first try, either. What I'm sure would take most people a half hour took me a good two hours. See, I'm going to admit. I don't really read directions well... I find myself ALWAYS skimming through them. A bad flaw, but at least I can admit it. Because of this I had to seam rip once and the other time... well, my machine jammed (so it wasn't all my fault)! 

Here is what the finished product looks like! I love the colors and it reminds me of summer. I think this pouch would be perfect for a cruise! Holding the necessities--a point and shoot camera, lip balm, your cabin card, and ID! As soon as I showed Mr. Woodsy and I mentioned that to him--he just smirked (see we are kind of cruise buffs... and like to cruise at least once a year)! 

One side of the zipper came out thick and the other side skinny. I think it's because I was sewing on the wrong side of the zipper foot the first time around. I'd love some constructive criticism and any tips you have about sewing zippers. I found it very difficult once I would get to the zipper pull. Now thinking about it... when you sew a zipper do you move the zipper part down as you sew? That way you don't run into this problem? I'm a zipper novice and will greatly appreciate all the tips and tricks!

I decided to get fancy and take a scrap piece of fabric and add a pocket to the inside along with our logo. Next time I'll remember to finish the top part of the pocket off. I think I was overwhelmed in excitement that I had sewed a zipper on when I added this pocket! I added the pocket after I sewed on each side; that way I knew I was putting the pocket in correctly! *I had someone ask on twitter yesterday how we got our logo on the pocket. A few months ago I bought a package of Avery Light Fabric Transfers ( you print your logo onto the iron-on transfer). They seem to hold up well although I've heard after a few washes they come off. Ironing on this transfer on to the pleated pouch works fine since I'm not sure if this will ever get washed!

This tutorial and pattern can be found for free on Skip to My Lou 
{along with a ton of other great tutorials and patterns}!

Labels:

12 Comments:

At January 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM , Blogger Nancy said...

Somehow I ran into that tutorial just before Christmas and made 8 or more of them! Had tons of fun doing it. You did a great job and I'm sure you'll get addicted like I did an make more. Good job for a first zipper. They aren't as intimidating as they look, are they?
Check out my photos! I added cute buttons (ladybugs, ponies, etc)
xox
Nancy

 
At January 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Samantha said...

Nice purse :) I one day hope to find such exciting fabrics in our tiny market stall fabric shop!

I found a brilliant zippered pouch tutorial here: http://flossieteacakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/lined-zippered-pouch-make-up-bag.html
and she makes it look so easy (I've yet to try it myself) that I'm wondering if it could help you along with your zippering.

One day (The same day as I find beautiful fabric maybe) I too will embark on the dreaded trial of zipper purse making!

 
At January 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Crafty Girls said...

Good job! With sewing, you just jump in! Zippers are fun once you do them, and they look much harder than they really are.

 
At January 5, 2011 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Mostly Food and Crafts said...

I'm posting my first link party - I would love fr you to link up.

Danielle

http://mostlyfoodandcrafts.blogspot.com

 
At January 5, 2011 at 10:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

soooo cute!! Love this! Also, let me know if you ever want to do a tutorial on Handmade Tuesdays :) I need to start scheduling again!

 
At January 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM , Blogger Anngela said...

Good job on your first one Katie!! Sometimes zippers aren't the most fun, but I have found that moving the actual zipper when getting close to it DOES help...also, start off by originally placing the zipper foot at the width of the actual pull instead of trying to keep close to the closure--that way both sides can be fairly even! Larry actually recommended that when I was having the same problem sewing the zipper on even and straight without being able to see the actual zipper line!! :)
I still think we should make a few together sometime! :)

 
At January 7, 2011 at 10:16 AM , Blogger AUDRA said...

Great job!
Thanks for linking up to Socialize with me Monday til Sunday.

 
At March 5, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Thendral said...

Lovely!!! I love the fabric color. I am your new follower too.
http://thendralscraft.blogspot.com

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM , Anonymous Anngela's Pretty Little Things said...

Good job on your first one Katie!! Sometimes zippers aren't the most fun, but I have found that moving the actual zipper when getting close to it DOES help...also, start off by originally placing the zipper foot at the width of the actual pull instead of trying to keep close to the closure--that way both sides can be fairly even! Larry actually recommended that when I was having the same problem sewing the zipper on even and straight without being able to see the actual zipper line!! :)
I still think we should make a few together sometime! :)

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM , Anonymous Thendral said...

Lovely!!! I love the fabric color. I am your new follower too.
http://thendralscraft.blogspot.com

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM , Anonymous Samantha said...

Nice purse :) I one day hope to find such exciting fabrics in our tiny market stall fabric shop!

I found a brilliant zippered pouch tutorial here: http://flossieteacakes.blogspot.com/2009/05/lined-zippered-pouch-make-up-bag.html
and she makes it look so easy (I've yet to try it myself) that I'm wondering if it could help you along with your zippering.

One day (The same day as I find beautiful fabric maybe) I too will embark on the dreaded trial of zipper purse making!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM , Anonymous Danielle said...

I'm posting my first link party - I would love fr you to link up.

Danielle

http://mostlyfoodandcrafts.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home