This page has moved to a new address.

Q&A: Heat-N-Bond Fusing

Sew Woodsy: Q&A: Heat-N-Bond Fusing

Monday, February 21, 2011

Q&A: Heat-N-Bond Fusing

We recently received a question from a reader about Heat-N-Bond, and I wanted to share the question and my answer with everyone since I've received this question a few times now. 


A fabulous reader, writes: 


"Hi, my question is that when you use heat-n-bond for putting appliques on material, will the edges start fraying later on when you wash it? I have a project that I want to start but I am hesitant that the edges will fray? Thank you, Donna"


Answer: I have used the Heat-N-Bond method on multiple projects now. Including one of the first projects I ever posted about; Cutting Heat-N-Bond Adhered Fabric with the Cricut. I added this simple applique to a shirt that had multiple holes on it. I essentially restored the shirt. It was, and still is, one of my favorite shirts to wear. I can honestly say I've washed it at the very least a dozen times since last August, and it has yet to fray. 

 
Now, does that mean your Heat-N-Bond fabric won't fray? No. It could still fray--there is always that possibility, but I'm going to safely say that from the times I've worked with the Heat-N-Bond it has yet to fray on me! This may also be because I pre-wash ALL the fabric's that come into our house. 
Here are the tips that Heat-n-Bond gives its users: 

Important Tips
  • Pre-wash all clothing and fabrics before using Heat N' Bond Iron-On Adhesive. Do not use fabric softeners.
  • Don't overheat Heat N' Bond; this will cause an insufficient bonding.
  • Don't iron over the plastic instruction sheet.
  • Don't sew--due to the unique thickness of Heat N' Bond's adhesive machine stitching is not recommended.
  • It is machine washable. For best results use the delicate cycle and warm water.
  • Heat N' Bond is not recommended for projects or items that require dry cleaning.


I hope this answers your question, Donna! 

*If anyone ever has a question--please don't hesitate to email us. We will answer your burning questions in a timely manner and potentially post them to the blog to help other readers!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home