This page has moved to a new address.

{Tutorial} Inexpensive Wall Art

Sew Woodsy: {Tutorial} Inexpensive Wall Art

Monday, October 4, 2010

{Tutorial} Inexpensive Wall Art


 
 Last month we completed a mini-bathroom revamp on our guest bathroom. I was so pleased with the outcome, but I needed some wall art. I waited a few weeks and looked at a variety of art pieces. It wasn't until one afternoon when I was perusing through the clearance bins at Michael's when I stumbled across 4 ugly small canvases. I instantly grabbed them and knew I could do something with them--I just didn't know what. It wasn't until later that night when I got pulled them out of the bag that I had an "aha" moment. I could transform them into my new bathroom art! 

Materials Needed: 
-4 small canvases (.50 cents each; normally sell for $1)
- 4 sheets of scrapbook paper (I found 2 patterns I liked out of a paper stack I had)
- Paper Matte Mod Podge
- Exacto knife
- Scissors

1. Cut one sheet of the scrapbook paper, so that it will fit over the canvas plus wrap to the back. 
2. Lather the top of the canvas and place your scrapbook paper on top. Smooth it out, so that there are no air pockets in between the paper and canvas. Then fold each side of the paper so that you create a crease. Let your canvas partially dry (about 15 minutes).  

3. Next you will want to place some mod podge on the side of the canvas and on each of the corners. Gently fold the paper over the canvas and wrap the corners (like you would if you were wrapping a gift). Repeat until all sides have been covered.

Repeat the steps above until you've completed all canvases. This is how the backs of the canvases will look. You'll be able to see the writing on the back, but not on the front! 

{Sneak Peak} of the finished guest bathroom (post to come) with its new wall decor. 

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At October 4, 2010 at 3:39 PM , Blogger Johnnie said...

Very creative! I am a new follower from Monday's blog hops. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog. Blessings...
Saved By Love Creations

 
At October 4, 2010 at 5:34 PM , Blogger bethy.d said...

Those look great! I did something similar a year ago in my frontroom. I used 12x12x1 pieces of styrofoam and covered them with scrapbook papers...easy-peasy!

 
At October 5, 2010 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Lina Thomlinson said...

Great job! I bought those exact same ugly canvases because I couldn't resist them at $0.50 a pop. I had the same idea but I haven't done anything with mine yet. Thanks for the inspiration to get my butt in gear!

 
At October 5, 2010 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

These are great! I'm your newest follower

Melissa
http://www.burstsofcreativity.blogspot.com/

 
At October 6, 2010 at 10:00 AM , Blogger bookaddict4real said...

Wow thank you for sharing that . I have decoupaged with The glossy Mod Podge and it hasn't worked. But I love this idea for wall art because I have lots of leftover scrapbook paper.
If you want to you're more than welcome to post this project on my blog. I think my followers would love to see this! Go to www.scrapaddict4sure.com

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Anonymous bookaddict4real said...

Wow thank you for sharing that . I have decoupaged with The glossy Mod Podge and it hasn't worked. But I love this idea for wall art because I have lots of leftover scrapbook paper.
If you want to you're more than welcome to post this project on my blog. I think my followers would love to see this! Go to www.scrapaddict4sure.com

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM , Anonymous bethy.d said...

Those look great! I did something similar a year ago in my frontroom. I used 12x12x1 pieces of styrofoam and covered them with scrapbook papers...easy-peasy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home