This page has moved to a new address.

{office} Light Switch Plate Revamp

Sew Woodsy: {office} Light Switch Plate Revamp

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

{office} Light Switch Plate Revamp

I have scene quite a few blogs recently showcasing a customized light switch plate. You can find a few {of many} examples HERE, HERE, and HERE! I also read about this last year when I purchased a very cool craft book called "The Big-Ass Book of Crafts". Since we've been focusing on trying to complete our office project I've obviously been on customization over load. You can check out the file cabinet & magazine holders I've completed in the past few weeks. And now... a light switch plate to match the file cabinet and magazine holders. This piece of paper is what started it all. It's my "inspirational" color pallet for our office {well craftroom} make over! One of the best parts to this project is the fact that this project did not cost me anything. I had all the materials, so no money spent (well there was money spent but not specifically for this project).

Materials Needed:
  • Light switch plate (either new or the current one on your light switch)
  • Mod Podge 
  • Paper or fabric to cover switch plate
  • Foam brush
  • Exacto knife
  • spray adhesive
First you will want to measure out your paper/fabric of choice. Leave a little overage so that you can wrap it around the plate. 

With spray adhesive you'll want to adhere the paper to the plate. 

Now you'll want to carefully cut out the switch hole(s) with an exacto knife. I left a little extra so that I could wrap that around the plate it's self. 

Next, you will start working on applying a generous coat of mod podge to one of the sides. Pressing down firmly to adhere the material to the plate. *Be careful if you are using paper like me. If the glue is on your hands and you start to rub the paper the color on the paper can come off. 

 
After all the mod podge is dried with something sharp poke the holes where the screws will go into. Place the screws in slowly, and then place it back on the wall. 

Voila! Now you have a revamped light switch plate that adds character to your room! 

As seen on: Craft Gawker



Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At September 15, 2010 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Judy Whatilivefor said...

That turned out so cute! I love the color it adds! I made one recently using photo transfer with Mod Podge but think this would be so much fun for kids' rooms!

 
At September 15, 2010 at 10:19 AM , Blogger Kara said...

Cute idea! Easy project that adds a nice touch of color...I love it!

 
At September 16, 2010 at 7:46 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Judy--I think I'm going to need to try your photo transfer technique for our pool table room. We are going with an NYC theme, so unless I find scrapbook paper I like I might go the photo transfer route! Thanks for the compliments, ladies!

 
At September 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great tutorial! I need to pretty up some switch plates in my house. Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

 
At September 27, 2010 at 12:46 AM , Blogger An Experiment in Happiness said...

I really wanted to try this! Now after seeing your ideas I will have to do it. Thanks for sharing.
~Jessica
http://myhappinessexperiment.blogspot.com/

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Bobbi Lewin said...

Great tutorial! I need to pretty up some switch plates in my house. Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home