This page has moved to a new address.

{Tutorial} Painting Stripes

Sew Woodsy: {Tutorial} Painting Stripes

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

{Tutorial} Painting Stripes

When we first moved into our house a little over a year ago we choose to go with a neutral paint color throughout the house; BEHR's Tuscan Beige. We both agreed that once we were living in the house and if we wanted to add color we could do so then. Well it's been a year now, and I'm not going to lie. I'm ready to really change up the colors in our house! So one Sunday morning I some how convinced my husband to go to the hardware store and pick up the supplies (this was prior to looking at all sorts of examples and tips online. Some websites suggested using a matte and satin or semi-gloss paint of the same color. Other's suggested a few shades up or down of the same color, some did two totally different colors. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do this project. We choose to go two shades darker than the Tuscan Beige> Indulgent Mocha. Since the Tuscan Beige was an eggshell we decided to go one sheen higher and used a satin. This gives a little extra gloss to the darker portion of the walls.

I honestly can say I had every intention of painting. I just needed him to tape out everything since I knew I would not do a good job of that! After he spent 3 hours taping out the stripes I was ready to start painting... Well not so fast. He refused to let me pick up a paint roller. He didn't want me to "ruin" his hard work. Fine by me! Instead I just managed the project (and I think I did a satisfactory job doing so)! The walls turned out exactly how I wanted them too!

First you will want to measure out the walls you will be striping. In our case. I wanted the darker color to end on each of the two walls. For us it was simply 18 stripes 12inches wide. We choose to run the stripes like it was one consistent wall instead of two walls. 


Supplies Needed:
- Paint brush & roller 
- Blue painters tape (we bought two rolls but only needed one)
- paint of your choice (We used BEHR's Satin Indulgent Mocha)
- measuring tape
- Pencil
- calculator
- ladder


You will want to start by measuring the walls and adding "guide" tape. This will help you dictate your width between stripes. You will want to measure at the bottom, middle, and top of your walls. This takes time and lots of patience!!!


Next, you will start using your pencil markings and taping your walls. Not only do you have to be very precise (and patient), but you need to make sure that the tap sits in the inner stripes that will not be painted. In our case the Tuscan Beige that already exist on the walls. You will also want to use a credit card to smooth out any and all bubbles from the tape. You want to make sure that the tape has absolutely no air pockets!


This is what it will look like once your done taping the room. *Excuse the mess* 

Now you can begin to start painting your stripes! 

 
Last panel to paint!

We scoured the internet trying to find the "right" answer as to when to remove the tape. Some forums said 24 hours others said 30 minutes after painting. By the time Jon was finished painting it had definitely been past 30 minutes from where he started, so he slowly and carefully started removing the tape off. Making sure that if there was still wet paint on the tape that he would not get it on the walls. 

Here is the finished product! *view from our kitchen*

*view from the foyer walking in*

As seen on: 

Visit thecsiproject.com




Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At September 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM , Blogger LBT said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I have always wanted to paint stripes but just can't ever bring myself to start...lots of hard work and patience. It's the patience I'm worried about :) You guys did an awesome job, your hard work and patience shows and I think it's spectacular!!!

 
At September 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM , Blogger Anngela said...

You know I LOVE this!! I love the stripes, as (almost!) every house I've lived in had stripes...but I think the colors are just perfect together! Good job Jon!! :)

 
At September 23, 2010 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Peter George said...

Great job! Thanks for the tutorial, I'm definitely going to try this in our house.

 
At September 23, 2010 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Megan // Honey We're Home said...

I love your stripes- you're right- very similar to mine. And no air pockets in the tape IS key:) Great tutorial.

 
At September 25, 2010 at 1:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the stripes! Nice choice!

 
At September 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's a fantastic look!

If I may offer an alternative to all the tools: the U-Stripe It & Design tool. With the tool, you'll no longer need all the tools to draw straight lines!

This tutorial shows just how simple it is - How to Paint Stripes Effortlessly in just a few steps.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM , Anonymous Megan {Honey We're Home} said...

I love your stripes- you're right- very similar to mine. And no air pockets in the tape IS key:) Great tutorial.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home