This page has moved to a new address.

{Tutorial} Creepy Spiders

Sew Woodsy: {Tutorial} Creepy Spiders

Friday, October 8, 2010

{Tutorial} Creepy Spiders

I'm happy to report that I helped organize our first "craft at lunch" event at my office earlier this week. A handful of us are very crafty and craft all the time, so we decided to do an easy project during our lunch hour to clear our minds off work, and focus on a fun craft project. We adhered magnets on to the bottoms of our spiders, but you can honestly use anything like velcro or clips, etc... Our first crafting lunch was a huge success and we are already starting to plan for our next! 

supplies: 
32 black pipe cleaners (I bought 100pk for $4)
8 two-inch black puff balls ($2 for 4)
8 magnets (18 for $2 at WalMart) OR (clip, velcro, etc)
 1 sheet of black felt (.25 cents)
scissors (already owned)
glue gun w/ glue sticks (already owned)

Our craft project "instructor" for the hour, Sarah. 
This was Sarah's project that she taught us all how to make. 
I wish she had a craft blog, because she makes some really cool stuff!

Directions:

1. Plug in hot glue gun then start cutting small circles out of your felt (the size of your puff ball). 
2. Once your glue gun is hot enough; place a large "glob" of hot glue in the middle of the circle.
3. Take 4 pipe cleaners and place the centers of them on the circle. Push down, but be careful not to burn your fingers. Once the pipe cleaners are in place--place more glue on top of the pipe cleaners then press the puff ball on top.
4. Lastly, hot glue a magnet on to the bottom of the felt circle, and bend the legs to how you'd like them to look. *If for some reason your felt circle is larger than your puff ball you can always cut around it so that the felt circle does not show. 
5. If you would like you can add other decorative items to your spiders to give them more character you can do so at this time (googly eyes, small colored puff balls, etc). 

As you can tell this was a super easy project. One of my co-workers made one at the office, and then made the rest at home with her 10 year old daughter who LOVED the project! You can place these creepy spiders on your refrigerator, magnetic cabinet, or best of all on your garage. It gives for a creepy cool effect from the street! 

Here are more photo's from our craft lunch: 
Kristi posing with her 2 spiders. *The black and orange spider is a Halloween spider and has NO ASSOCIATION with a sport's team! (lol)

Christy with her eclectic spider!

Sarah and her crazy spiders!!!

Here's my favorite picture from our craft hour!

Labels: , , ,

27 Comments:

At October 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM , Blogger Through My Looking Glass said...

That was so much fun!

 
At October 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM , Blogger While They Snooze said...

I thought I already posted a comment? hmmm, weird. These spiders are cool... and my garage looks extra creepy because of them.

 
At October 8, 2010 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

That's so cute! And I love that you have craft lunches! I would love to do that here at work. We do have a fall craft fair here so I'm excited for that.

 
At October 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

Those last 2 pis make me laugh! I agree that the craft lunch is such a great idea. Fun and cute, until you put them all over your head, then they look kinda creepy.

 
At October 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM , Blogger Melissa @ It's Fancy Schmancy said...

Your spiders turned out great! Thanks for commenting and looking at my spiders too.

 
At October 8, 2010 at 9:33 PM , Blogger LBT said...

Super jealous...sad I missed that! You guys did a great job on your super cute, I mean super creepy, spiders. Love you all!!!
A
www.littlebuggietutu.blogspot.com

 
At October 8, 2010 at 10:30 PM , Blogger Kristi Flanagan said...

Awesome spiders - love them! Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

Hugs,

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

 
At October 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are so adorable! Just found your blog & wanted to say hello. I wanted to let you know that I recently started a "Handmade Tuesdays" on Ladybug Blessings. I am featuring a tutorial (let me know if you ever want to be featured) and then am also going to have a linky at the bottom where people can link up previous tutorials they did. It can be from any time but the only rule is it cannot be linked up again. I am also going to be randomly featuring etsy shops as well because not everyone can make things! So please link up on Tuesday!

 
At October 9, 2010 at 3:52 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

I wish I had had craft lunches when I was working! :)

 
At October 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Jami said...

What a great idea for a work day break!!! How lucky to be surrounded by such fun and creative people!
smiles!

 
At October 9, 2010 at 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are super cute! I love them! If you get a chance, you should come link them to my Halloween party this weekend. They would make an awesome addition!

Krista

 
At October 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM , Blogger the cape on the corner said...

man, i wanna work where you work! we can't even get a book club going, even though we've been saying we're going to!

i'm having a birthday giveaway if you'd like to stop by...
www.thecapeonthecorner.blogspot.com

 
At October 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

Seriously wish I worked at your office..I'm so jealous! Great spiders!

 
At October 11, 2010 at 4:47 PM , Blogger SplendidlyImperfect said...

What a cute idea! How fun to have co workers who not only like to craft but are willing to do it at work too.

 
At October 11, 2010 at 5:38 PM , Blogger Ginger said...

How fun! Thanks for linking up to The Halloween Scene!

 
At October 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM , Blogger Tony said...

so fun!

Kimra
http://crafty-cove.blogspot.com

 
At October 12, 2010 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Lauren @ 31diy said...

Love the spiders! And I think it's so cool that you have a crafting group at work! That would be uber fun!

 
At October 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

Those look great! Can I come work with you?

 
At October 12, 2010 at 6:42 PM , Blogger HILLARY said...

I love them all! I need some more Halloween-ie things up in my house! Thanks for the idea!

 
At October 17, 2010 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love 'em! Thanks for joining our party this week!
{*Rebekah*}

 
At October 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM , Blogger AUDRA said...

Awesome! Thanks for linking up to Socialize with me Monday til Sunday

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous HILLARY said...

I love them all! I need some more Halloween-ie things up in my house! Thanks for the idea!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Tony and Kimra said...

so fun!

Kimra
http://crafty-cove.blogspot.com

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous whilehewasnapping said...

These are super cute! I love them! If you get a chance, you should come link them to my Halloween party this weekend. They would make an awesome addition!

Krista

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Jami said...

What a great idea for a work day break!!! How lucky to be surrounded by such fun and creative people!
smiles!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Melissa said...

Your spiders turned out great! Thanks for commenting and looking at my spiders too.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM , Anonymous Zisa said...

I thought I already posted a comment? hmmm, weird. These spiders are cool... and my garage looks extra creepy because of them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home