This page has moved to a new address.

{Mini Tutorial} Lifesize Spider Web with Webbed Accessories

Sew Woodsy: {Mini Tutorial} Lifesize Spider Web with Webbed Accessories

Thursday, October 14, 2010

{Mini Tutorial} Lifesize Spider Web with Webbed Accessories

Early last October (2009) we watched an episode on HGTV that was all about decorating for Halloween. One of the DIY decorations they made was a very large spider web and webbed person. We ran to the store the very next day, purchased the supplies we needed, and began constructing a lifesize web of our own. 

This is the best picture I have of the web from last year... as you can tell it's good, but not great! We wanted to strive for a bigger and better web this year. That's where the larva sacks come into play. 

How to construct the web: 
We used 2 packets of 25 foot thin white rope. Cut a 6-8 inch center ring and then take 5 equal pieces of rope and connect them to the center ring. These will be the pieces of rope that connect to the walls. From there you just start building off of it. *I wish I had pictures to show you, but this web was constructed last year! This year we sprayed a black spray paint on to parts of the web to give it more of a rugged look. 

How to construct the webbed person: 
 This webbed person is about 4ish feet in length. 
You can make it to be as large or small as you'd like. 

We constructed the body using about a week's worth of newspaper and a roll of white tape. 
Then we used a few packages of cheese cloth and wrapped him until we could not see any more newspaper. Since pulling him down from the attic this year we noticed we could see quite a bit of the newspaper so we wrapped another package or two of cheesecloth around him. Once you have all the cheesecloth applied you'll want to add cobwebs to your "webbed" person! 

Now it's time to hang this poor soul... 
We literally hang him by part of the cob web we use to wrap him with! 
Unfortunately, a thumbtack will not hold this webbed person up. It's too heavy, so you will need to drill a hole in your ceiling and attach the mummy with a anchor and screw! 

How to construct the larva sack's:
 At the beginning of September I posted on all of the Halloween projects I aspired to recreate that you can purchase on Grandin Road. Well the larva sacks were one of them!
First you will want to ball up newspaper and tape it together. 
Then you'll want to spray the newspaper white. Attach a piece of string to each of the sacks, and begin wrapping with cheese cloth. After you have enough cheesecloth on your sacks you'll want to wrap some more cobwebs around them. 

Now you may begin to hang your larva sacks. 
Luckily we did not need to drill another hole into our ceiling! 
Regular push pins worked fine! 
Lastly, you'll want to add tons of cobwebs to your lifesize web and additional spiders of all sizes! 


Linked to:

Entertain Exchange



Labels: , ,

35 Comments:

At October 14, 2010 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Very neat, thank you for sharing this! I'm gonna need a bigger bag of webbing! LOL! 8>)

 
At October 14, 2010 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

ick! haha Kate -- that's really creeping me out!! It looks great -- you guys did a wonderful job =)

 
At October 14, 2010 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

Katie, this is super spooky. Those egg sacks look real and kind of make my skin itch. :) haha! This is perfect for trick or treaters or a Halloween party! :) Great, spooky work!

 
At October 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting and creative!

 
At October 14, 2010 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! This is SO cool!! So scarry!! Thanks for sharing!
-Kendall
{songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

 
At October 14, 2010 at 1:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome! I am definitely going to try this one!

 
At October 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM , Blogger Anngela said...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to fear coming into your house between the mummy heads, spiders and bathroom! haha

 
At October 15, 2010 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

This is awesome! I have a picture of a mummified person and some larva sacks that I saw in some pricey Halloween decoration online store. I printed out a picture because I wanted to make some but could not for the life of me figure out how to make the body shape. I was thinking of having my daughter lay still for a few hours while I covered her with plastic wrap and paper mache' and then let that dry! Then I was thinking about a chicken wire frame...I do complicate things sometimes. Newspaper!?! Now, I'm all over this project! Thanks for the idea.

 
At October 15, 2010 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

OH, and the huge spiderweb is awesome too!

 
At October 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Donna@Conghaile Cottage said...

LOVE IT!!! It's REALLY CREEPY FUN,FUN,FUN!!!

 
At October 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM , Blogger LBT said...

Insanely cool!!! I absolutely love this idea!

 
At October 16, 2010 at 11:25 AM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

K, I just spotlighted this post. Thanks for shedding some light on a new approach to a daunting task. Hehee

:-) Sandra

 
At October 16, 2010 at 11:32 AM , Blogger LYNDY WARD said...

Not sure if this is your Halloween Party link Post, but the spider web is SPOOKTACULAR!

Please fly by for my giveaways too...
Hauntingly Yours, Lyndy

My Haunted Halloween Party Link:
http://bit.ly/dho880
TODAYSGOLD
http://todaysgold.blogspot.com/

 
At October 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM , Blogger Cassie said...

Amazing!!!
Love this SO much!!!
That mummy is perfect!
I want to do this on the outside of my house!!!
=)

 
At October 16, 2010 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Dacia said...

These are soooo cool! Love all your Halloween decor! Thanks for the follow, I'm following your awesome blog too :)

 
At October 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great Halloween decoration! I love it! Thanks for linking with While He Was Napping. Hope to see you again next weekend!

Krista

 
At October 17, 2010 at 3:25 AM , Blogger Miss Fergie said...

I love this idea and will be sharing on my blog!

 
At October 17, 2010 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

You are really into Halloween like I am - fabulous!

Submit them in my Handmade Halloween Contest - starts now!

Susan,
http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
Party and Entertaining Inspiration

 
At October 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM , Blogger wdmk said...

This is amazing!

 
At October 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM , Blogger awal.ny said...

I made two mummies this way for Halloween last year. The only difference is that instead of cheese cloth I used riped up sheets to wrap the mummy and then I did use the webbing for effect. It looks great and I am going to try making a few of those egg sacks this year.

 
At October 19, 2010 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Tia said...

OMG that is so awesome. So creative and creepy, love it!!

 
At October 19, 2010 at 10:09 PM , Blogger Lucydesignsart.com said...

unreal! these are amazing!!

 
At October 19, 2010 at 10:51 PM , Blogger Cristie said...

Creepy cool!

 
At October 20, 2010 at 12:15 AM , Blogger Bella @ Bella before and after said...

WOw, that is AWESOME. Seriously cool. I am decirating right now for a big party on the 30th, for my princess. I did 2 big spider webs, today, but NO body, or egg sack, lol. Just a spider, but it's also a big one, lol. Come check it out tommorrow, I will be posting about it. I am your HAPPY newest follower, and wanted to invite you to come link this up to my halloween party ***6 weeks 2 Spook***, it's perfect and I would love to have it to share with my readers. Thanks again, Bella :)~~

 
At October 20, 2010 at 12:22 AM , Blogger Katie said...

That is AWESOME, so so fun!!! I did get a giggle about the "mini" tutorial for the "life sized" spider. Ha! And it's a bargain for such a large decoration too. If you wanted to buy something like this, if you could find it...it would be serious $$$. So glad you shared it on A Crafty Soiree Looking forward to seeing you next time too:)

 
At October 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM , Blogger Kileen said...

I love it! That is great! I might have to try this. :)

 
At October 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM , Blogger L Simonson said...

SUPER fun! My kiddos would LOVE it! DARLING! I am so glad you linked up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions :) I am going to feature your post tomorrow. Feel free to stop by and grab and "I Thrilled on Thursday" button off my sidebar, if you like :) Hope to see you at the Thrilling Thursday Linky Party again soon!!!

~Lori @ Paisley Passions

 
At October 21, 2010 at 6:11 PM , Blogger Crafty Mommy Diva said...

Wow! That's freaky especially the "person." How fun though! Thanks for linking up to Scrappy Saturdays.

 
At October 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just made a large spiderweb yesterday. It's not nearly as cool as yours but I'm still happy with how it turned out. :) Just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration!

 
At October 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Love it! It looks so nasty!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous That one girl said...

Love it! It looks so nasty!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Megan @ Polish The Stars.com said...

I just made a large spiderweb yesterday. It's not nearly as cool as yours but I'm still happy with how it turned out. :) Just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Bella said...

WOw, that is AWESOME. Seriously cool. I am decirating right now for a big party on the 30th, for my princess. I did 2 big spider webs, today, but NO body, or egg sack, lol. Just a spider, but it's also a big one, lol. Come check it out tommorrow, I will be posting about it. I am your HAPPY newest follower, and wanted to invite you to come link this up to my halloween party ***6 weeks 2 Spook***, it's perfect and I would love to have it to share with my readers. Thanks again, Bella :)~~

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Lucy Designs said...

unreal! these are amazing!!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 12:58 AM , Blogger Venassa said...

Looks great and very real! You guys did an amazing job.

vb-creations.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home