This page has moved to a new address.

{mini tutorial} Bloody Bathroom

Sew Woodsy: {mini tutorial} Bloody Bathroom

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

{mini tutorial} Bloody Bathroom

Enter if you Dare... 

*Guest bathroom from last year*

In my attempts to create cool inexpensive decorations last year (and now this year) I had stumbled across this website that had a Horror Movie shower curtain and bath mat. But at $20 each I knew I could make my own! 
*Picture from ThinkGeek.com 

For a whopping $20 I was able to transform my whole bathroom from normal every day to creepy scary!

This is how I transformed our guest bathroom for $20:
-white plastic shower curtain $1
-Clear plastic shower curtain hooks $1
-red paint (I had)
-old white towel (for bath mat)
-2 Fluorescent Screw In Black Light Bulb $7/ea at Home Depot
-1 package of plastic fake blood splatters $3
-foam core & spray paint (mirror/already had this)
-double stick tape for foam core mirror panels (already had this)
-skeleton face sticker $1

*picture from last year*
*picture from last year with the flash on so you can see what we did to our mirror. 

For the mirror we cut out white foam core and lightly painted it with black spray paint. We then applied double stick tape to the plain builder grade mirror which held the foam core together. We also applied the skeleton face sticker onto the mirror. *Sticker peals off relatively easy and you can reuse it for years to come.

*picture from last year*

For the shower curtain, I laid it out on the grass and splattered red paint on it. Then you will want to dip your hands in red paint and dragged them down the curtain (make sure someone is home and ready to open doors for you so that you don't get red paint everywhere... not that this happened to me ;). The same goes with the bath mat (splatter paint, dip your feet in the paint and step on the mat)! I use plastic hooks on the bloody shower curtain, so that I don't have to unhook my normal every day curtain. I literally pick up the curtain holding all the hooks and hang it in our guest room closet. Super smooth transition! 

As you can tell the lightbulbs were the most expensive part to this project, but added to the creepy impact! We just unscrewed the other two light bulbs so that they wouldn't turn on but didn't remove them completely. *If you haven't purchased any now--you may be out of luck! These tend to sell out the month of October at all hardware stores. You want the expensive ones too because you can package them up and use them for years to come, plus they are much more powerful then the crappy .99 ones! 

 Our guest bathroom was the biggest hit of our party last year, and everyone wanted to spend there time in the bathroom under the black lights rather than in the rest of the house!  Since we upgraded our guest bathroom a few months ago we have some new surprises in store, but we can't reveal them until after our Halloween party (since some of the people who read this blog will be at our party)! 


I made the cut! The CSI Project: 
Visit thecsiproject.com

Linked to:
Entertain Exchange

Labels: , , , ,

25 Comments:

At October 12, 2010 at 6:32 AM , Blogger Anngela said...

This was my favorite part of all your decor!! I love the pics I took in there :)

 
At October 12, 2010 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Maryanne said...

That is so freaking cool. Great job!

I'm following you now from TTA. :)

 
At October 12, 2010 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Jennifer Leigh said...

This is so cool....I really like what you did to the mirror too.

 
At October 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Life in Rehab said...

LOVE it! What a great idea, and the mirror is the creepy cherry on the macabre sundae!

Come visit if you have time, we're being creepy too!

 
At October 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM , Blogger Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Love this! So cute!!

 
At October 13, 2010 at 12:42 AM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

The mirror and skeleton guy are cool! The blood would freak out my husband. He'd probably run around the house looking for me afraid that I finally severed something while using the table saw. It wouldn't immediately sink in that there were TWO hand prints on the shower curtain. You really did go all out. Can't wait to see what else you have planned!

 
At October 13, 2010 at 4:48 AM , Blogger Amanda Tempel said...

Hi There!

I'm a new follower from Tuesday Tag Along! I hope you'll stop by and follow me too!

And while your there please feel free to join in my blog hop, Wobble Over Wednesday. It's a great way to meet new friends and get new blog followers :)

I hope to see you there! :D
-Amanda T
http://mylifewithratsandmore.blogspot.com

By the way, I love this idea and am definitley going to try it out!

 
At October 13, 2010 at 7:43 AM , Blogger The Frugal Free Gal said...

Hey! Im coming over from WOW Blog Hop! I had posted my sewing blog right after yours! Mine is
http://sewingissewfun.blogspot.com
I am a beginner so I still need lots of practice! :) My other blog is http://frugalfreegal.blogspot.com if you are interested!

 
At October 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM , Blogger Ron Cooper said...

I’m already following you from Wobble Over Wednesday. Want to wish you and your family a great autumn! I have a new Facebook fan page with inspiring quotes. Feel free to visit soon.

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

 
At October 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

very cool! You have such great ideas and I'm sure it will be a hit at the party!

 
At October 13, 2010 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Very cool idea!! So spooky! Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I had to come over and take a look- {I'm your newest follower too!}

-Kendall
{songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

 
At October 13, 2010 at 8:14 PM , Blogger Nikki said...

That is the COOLEST idea!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love IT! Thanks so much for linking up to gettin' crafty on hump day! :)

 
At October 14, 2010 at 7:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it! So cool!

 
At October 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM , Blogger katskraps4kids said...

my computer was acting up so I don't know if my comment posted or not so JIC- I think this is AWESOME!!!

 
At October 16, 2010 at 12:17 PM , Blogger Cassie said...

This is fantastic!!!
LOVE it!!!
=)

 
At October 17, 2010 at 2:08 PM , Blogger Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

This is absolutly amazing - brilliant!!! I love it and want to do this for my party.

You must submit them in my Handmade Halloween Contest - starts now!

Do you have pictures of your party as well - sumit it!

Susan,
http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/
Party and Entertaining Inspiration

 
At October 21, 2010 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Katie said...

So happy you linked up at A Crafty Soiree! I'm sorry I'm a bit tardy in making all my visits. I know I was by earlier to see the life sized spider web but didn't quite make it to this one. I was out late last night and we had a terrible rain storm when I got home. Not good weather for using the computer!

Thanks for sharing this too. It's a great on a budget way to creep up the often forgotten bathroom:) Not too many of those decorated for Halloween! I hope you'll join us for the newest one, it started today.

 
At October 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM , Blogger lisbonlioness said...

Oh yeah. Coooooooooooome to Mama, baby. I'm totally going to do this, and it'll totally stay up all year.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous lisbonlioness said...

Oh yeah. Coooooooooooome to Mama, baby. I'm totally going to do this, and it'll totally stay up all year.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Cassie said...

This is fantastic!!!
LOVE it!!!
=)

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Cassie said...

This is fantastic!!!
LOVE it!!!
=)

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Free Gal said...

Hey! Im coming over from WOW Blog Hop! I had posted my sewing blog right after yours! Mine is
http://sewingissewfun.blogspot.com
I am a beginner so I still need lots of practice! :) My other blog is http://frugalfreegal.blogspot.com if you are interested!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Ron Cooper said...

I’m already following you from Wobble Over Wednesday. Want to wish you and your family a great autumn! I have a new Facebook fan page with inspiring quotes. Feel free to visit soon.

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Love this! So cute!!

 
At September 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Blissful & Domestic said...

This is awesome. I will definitely be featuring it in October

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home