This page has moved to a new address.

Halloween Spider Soap

Sew Woodsy: Halloween Spider Soap

Monday, September 5, 2011

Halloween Spider Soap

Last year, I wanted to make Halloween goodie bags to pass out to my immediate neighbors children, and to the few kids coming to our Halloween party. I didn't want the goodie bags to just be filled with candy. I wanted to add additional non-sugar filled items in the bags. I stumbled across this awesome tutorial from Milk and Cuddles on how to make your own spider soap.
I had no idea how easy it was to make your own soap. I went to the dollar store and bought a muffin pan dedicated to soap making since I had a feeling this is something I might want to make time and time again *so versatile and so many options. Since my muffin pan was metal I used an old microwave safe bottle to heat up the blocks of glycerin in the microwave. Once the glycerin had melted I added a few drops of cinnamon apple scent to the soap. This made the soap smell like fall, and then I carefully poured it into each of the individual muffin cups. I then added a plastic spiders into each tin. Some had one to two spiders, and other cups had a "spider on a web". I bought one small bags of these plastic critters at the dollar store. 
I waited about a half hour or so until the bars had hardened, popped them out, and then wrapped them in plastic wrap. I labeled this as a dollar project because I honestly feel that it only cost about a dollar to make six of these bars of soap. I believe I spent roughly $6 on a bag of glycerin (after a 40% off coupon), and roughly the same amount on the scented oil to go into the soap itself. I had enough glycerin left over to make at least an additional 4-6 trays of soap. 

All the children who received this soap at our party LOVED it, and were ready to start washing their hands immediately. One of my friends said her daughter washed her hands all weekend just to get the spider out. If you have trouble getting your children to wash their hands... this is the way to go! 

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At September 5, 2011 at 9:11 AM , Blogger Tammie said...

I never knew it was this easy to make soap! Love this idea, as you said for ANY holiday! Thanks for sharing.

 
At September 5, 2011 at 12:25 PM , Blogger Christine said...

Soap is fun to make--I make it with my preschoolers at Valentine's when we talk about sharing our love and NOT our germs. At any rate, using a silicone muffin tin makes it a breeze to pop out your soaps when they are ready too, if you happen to have one of those (or even the fun shapes they make them in are fun too)
thanks for the fun idea of adding those simple spiders!

 
At September 5, 2011 at 3:20 PM , Blogger laxsupermom said...

Such a cute idea! I love the idea of adding these in goody bags. The kids get sugared up enough at our party. Thanks for sharing.

 
At September 5, 2011 at 7:13 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!! Making soap was one of my favorite things to do as a kid with my sister. We did it all the time and I totally hadn't even thought of this until now! Def going to pick up some soap making goods!

 
At September 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

Those turned out really cute :). We made soap one year for my daughters birthday. It was a luau and we made popsicle soaps.

 
At September 14, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

I saw you at Someday Crafts. I love this soap, how cute. Would love for you to share at my next anything goes linky party that runs fri-mon. If you do I will probably feature it on Thursday the following week beacause I just love Halloween crafts right now.
http://www.bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

 
At September 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a fun Halloween project! They look so cool!
I would love to have you link up with Creative Me Monday at The Southern Institute! My linky party runs all week long. Here's the link:

http://www.thesoutherninstitute.com/2011/09/creative-me-monday.html?utm_source=BP_recent

Hope to see you there!

Jenny

 
At September 14, 2011 at 2:05 PM , Blogger Venassa said...

That is so cool! Never mind the kids, it would have me wanting to wash my hands more :p

I really love the idea of giving out a little more than just junk food for Halloween, so this is a great idea that I'm storing away for later.

Ps.. I posted a link to this post over at my crafting blog. I'm gathering a bunch of great Halloween projects. Hope you don't mind :)

(http://vb-creations.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-halloween-projects-and-recipes.html)

 
At September 15, 2011 at 12:52 AM , Blogger Marie said...

Such a cute idea! So glad you linked up to Show & Share! I have a giveaway going on right now would love to have you join in that also! http://mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com/2011/09/mixed-bag-designs-giveaway-with-3.html

Marie
mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

 
At September 15, 2011 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Coley said...

um... amazing. Seriously, I have to do this project this weekend! So cute!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home