This page has moved to a new address.

Halloween "Advent" Calendar

Sew Woodsy: Halloween "Advent" Calendar

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Halloween "Advent" Calendar


As soon as I saw this Halloween style "advent" calendar I knew I needed to make this for my husband. I think the number one reason why he loves Christmas is because of the advent calendar! Let me preface that I realize that "advent" really isn't the correct word for this project since the word advent has to do with: "a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas." I would prefer to call this more of a countdown then advent; however, this is the project that I choose to model after another, so I don't feel it's appropriate to change the name! 

Ok... now with that being said. Let's carry on: 

... I was even more excited to see that Oopsey Daisy had a download with all the numbers already designed and ready to be printed out, cut, glued, and placed on the cookie sheet. Yep, that's what makes this "advent" calendar so cool. The numbers are magnets that can be changed each and every year. This was pretty easy to make; however, cutting out all 31 numbers and then glueing them was probably the most time consuming part of the project! I used the Designer's Calendar cricut cartridge, and cut out the word "October" using both the script and script shadow features. I adhered it using a few zots *and realize that this may not be salvageable for years to come! Now thinking back I should have mod podged over the "October" as well, so that it would "laminate" it. 

You might be thinking to yourself... so where's the candy? I haven't added it yet. When I first showed my husband he just figured it was a calendar for the month of October... that's when I explained what it was, and instead of him being grateful for my hard work and thoughtfulness he simply replied "but there are no boxes hiding the candy--what's an advent calendar that isn't hiding the daily prize?" (something to that magnitude). Of course I replied something along the lines of "well then, this can be my countdown calendar, and you can construct your own countdown calendar using 31 little boxes, and lots of wood and more of your time that you don't have"! So that was the end of that story. I think he became instantly grateful for my thoughtfulness, and I know he will appreciate it even more once there is candy on it (and it's the first of October). 

The complete tutorial along with the free print out numbers can be found on Oopsey Daisy's blog! 

Linked to: 

All Thingz Related



Get Your Craft On Tuesday
diaryofacraftaholic.blogspot.com.png

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At September 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Amy Meyer said...

That is super cute! I love advent calendars as well! Great job!
Amy
crazycraftbugs.blogspot.com

 
At September 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM , Blogger *Angela* said...

This is adorable! I love advent calendars, but I've never been able to eat just one piece of candy a day. My calendar was always empty by the 5th ;)

 
At September 14, 2010 at 8:19 PM , Blogger Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

What a cute little calendar! My kids would really love it.

Thanks for linking to Transform Tuesday!!

 
At September 14, 2010 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Donene said...

What a darling calendar! I love it!
I have a big favor to ask of you, recently I had a post on some weight that I lost and now there is a contest and I am in it. You win by getting the most votes so I really need your vote! Could you please go to my blog and follow the directions to vote? I can't thank you enough! Just click below and then vote!!!
http://easypeasygrandma.blogspot.com/2010/09/little-shrug-and-great-contest.html

 
At September 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a cute calendar! Hopped over from Transform Tuesday!

Krista
whilehewasnapping.blogspot.com

 
At September 24, 2010 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Laurie said...

Your calendar turned out great. I saw, in real life not a blog, a Christmas one that had squares with numbers and tiny magnets on each corner so it covered a mini muffin tin spot that would hold the treat. Hope that makes sense. I may be making one for Christmas next month.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:21 AM , Anonymous Laurie said...

Your calendar turned out great. I saw, in real life not a blog, a Christmas one that had squares with numbers and tiny magnets on each corner so it covered a mini muffin tin spot that would hold the treat. Hope that makes sense. I may be making one for Christmas next month.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home