This page has moved to a new address.

{Tutorial} Strapless Yoga Dress

Sew Woodsy: {Tutorial} Strapless Yoga Dress

Friday, September 16, 2011

{Tutorial} Strapless Yoga Dress

I've done it again... do you remember the yoga skirt? Well yoga skirt can now meet yoga dress. It took me just about all summer to complete this dress. I had a few "hiccups" along the way. Like 2 major boo-boo's which caused me to not only have to re-cut out the skirt portion but also the top portion. I learned a lot once again, and am partly glad I messed up. I really like how the dress came out! Technically I had the dress completed before summer and since I live in Florida I still have a few more months that I can wear this gem!

Supplies: 
Coordinating knit fabric for top and bottom *amount depends on your size
Sewing Machine, Tape Measure, Straight Pins, Seam Ripper, Scissor, and Chalk Line
*Knit Sewing Needle (trust me... your life will change after you invest in the set of needles)

I used the yoga skirt I made as a pattern for the "skirt" portion of the dress. On a flat surface, I laid out the knit fabric in half, so that when I'd trace the skirt I would have two pieces already cut out in the exact same shape. I laid my yoga skirt onto the knit fabric. *If you don't have a yoga skirt to trace measure from your hip to the length of where you would like the skirt to fall. Then to measure the band/top portion measure roughly 6inchesI then took my chalk pen and traced around the edge of the skirt. 

Before I cut the fabric I pinned around the chalk line ensuring that the two pieces would match perfectly. *You'll notice that originally this was supposed to be a full print dress. I made a boo-boo... like a BIG boo-boo! I (stupidly) cut the skirt with the  non-stretchy part horizontal. After I sewed up each side... i went to put the skirt portion on me and I felt like a stuffed sausage. There was no give in the fabrci. At that point I didn't have enough fabric left to just cut a new skirt portion, so I went back to JoAnn Fabrics where I prayed they would have more fabric (and they didn't). That's when I decided to use a matching solid blue.  

Next, you will want to cut out the band to form the tube of the top. I measured my bust (plus cheated and used part of the measurements from my yoga skirt).  *Remember, you will need two double sided pieces for the band (top portion). After cutting the first band I then traced around that band onto another portion of the fabric, pinned, and cut it out. 


Next you will want to sew the two top portion pieces together. *As pictured above. Apparently I measured on the large size... this top was swimming on me. That's when I decided to take it in... 


Here you'll see where I had both sets of stitching. I should have only taken it in half of what I did as pictured above. This time around it was way too tight! So I went back to the drawing board... and made another top... perfect on the first try! 

Once part "A" the skirt portion and part "B" the top portion were sewn on each side I then placed them together as picture above. You'll want to place the top band open seemed with the right side of the skirt. Does that make sense? 


Pin the two pieces together and sew it using a zig zag stitch. Be sure to sew close enough to the edge, and sew all 3 layers. 


Next, you'll want to make a tie for the dress. The dress looked very unfinished with the zig zag stitch that held the bottom and top together. To get the length of the tie I just measured around me until I had a desirable length (after being tied).


Sew the fabric into a tube. Then pull the fabric through so it's right-side facing out. Then finish off the ends. 

After I put my dress on I realized that my top was a smidge to long. 
Easy remedy... fold a portion of the dress down. 

I folded it about an inch. 

It will look like pictured above. *Downfall is that you will have unfinished side seems exposed... but who really looks under your arms any ways? 

You can see what I was talking about with the "unfinished" look between the top and the skirt. 

Once you add the tie this is what it will look like! 

One simple (if you don't have any sewing mishaps like me) summer/fall dress! lol. No pattern needed other than a skirt/dress you already own!  For those of you who live where its starting to get cooler you can pair it with a cardigan (which is what I do) and you don't even realize it's a strapless dress! 

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

At September 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Anngela said...

I'm not going to lie--I probably like the solid teal with the print better than the allover print!! :) I need to come steal the measurements for all this since I don't have a yoga skirt :) :)

 
At September 16, 2011 at 7:08 PM , Blogger Lindsay said...

You are so adorable! I love this dress on you. Awesome job, you are pretty amazing!

 
At September 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM , Blogger DeniseAngela said...

I love this dress with the waist tie......looks fabulous on you!

 
At September 17, 2011 at 3:27 AM , Blogger Annemarie's Haakblog said...

Hi! I wanted to let you know that my blog has moved to a new URL. Now that you are a follower of my old blog, perhaps you would like to follow my new one as well? There’s also a link party going on every Saturday. I would love it if you’d hop over and add something. Have a lovely day! Annemarie

 
At September 17, 2011 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Coley said...

You look so great in this! I'm your newest follower :)

 
At September 17, 2011 at 11:38 PM , Blogger Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Very pretty! I like the color combo a lot!

 
At September 18, 2011 at 2:12 PM , Blogger Etcetorize said...

This is so cute! I would love for you to share your tutorial at Make it Great Monday over at etcetorize.blogspot.com. Party open later tonight~

 
At September 18, 2011 at 9:24 PM , Blogger Blissful & Domestic said...

Hey Lady! I am looking for some guest bloggers for October to share fun Halloween crafts and recipes. What do you think? Want to join in the fun?

 
At September 18, 2011 at 11:48 PM , Blogger Betsy said...

This is a great tutorial! It turned out amazing!

 
At September 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM , Blogger Megan said...

So cute! It's amazing how something so simple as a needle can make a world of difference, isn't it? :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week! Oh, and feel free to send some of that warm weather to Iowa! :)

 
At September 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM , Blogger Angela said...

So pretty! Love it!! :)

 
At September 20, 2011 at 12:32 AM , Blogger Jordan McCollum said...

Cute! I made something a little bit like this this summer. I like yours too, and I like the solid and print together!

 
At September 22, 2011 at 6:13 AM , Blogger Maya Kuzman said...

Gorgeous and so easy to make!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home