This page has moved to a new address.

Double Ruffle Pillow {Tutorial}

Sew Woodsy: Double Ruffle Pillow {Tutorial}

Friday, August 5, 2011

Double Ruffle Pillow {Tutorial}

Everyone has been making pillows--ruffled pillows to be exact in blog land lately. Not that I want to copy the trend, but I do love me some accent pillows, and the fact that we don't have any accent pillows on our new comfort in our bedroom meant that I could start creating. This is the first of many pillows that I plan to create. 

It all started with a yard of black linen fabric for $2.70 and a throw pillow! That's all it took for me to start dreaming up what I wanted to do with this fabric. 

First you'll want to get the measurements of the pillow. I used a 14x14 pillow. I cut the ruffled fabric to 15 inches by 15 inches, and then the two back pieces; one at 10 inches wide and the other at 8 inches wide. That way they can over lap by 3 inches so that you won't see the white throw pillow. *Hem one side on both 10 inch and 8 inch fabric pieces.

Cut one-inch strips of fabric from the remaining piece of fabric. 

I sewed a straight stitch right down the middle of the fabric. I ruffled the fabric as I went almost making it pleated. Then I folded over the pleated ruffle fabric and sewed another stitch on top of that making it a "double" ruffle. 

You'll notice that my double ruffles aren't all that straight and of course I ran out of fabric to double ruffle the top, so to be on the safe side I had to just ruffle the last two rows. 

Next, you'll want to pin the two back pieces together to make 15 inches. 

Then pin the ruffled side (that's also 15 inches) to the pinned back side of the pillow. 

Sew around the edge of the pillow. 

Trim the remaining fabric on the edges and cut the corners at an angle.

Somehow... I shimmied the straight pins from the inside of the pillow out, so that I could eventually turn the pillow right-side out. 

Here is the final product. For being my first ruffled pillow I'm pretty pleased with how it came out and can't wait to make another (*better) ruffled pillow. 

*The fabric the pillow is resting on is the fabric we are going to recover our craft room chair in. 

Lastly, I had to share this photo of what Mr. Woodsy and I think is the cutest pup ever! Our furbaby, Lola. She was inquisitive of what was on our bed... sneaking over to the pillow. I grabbed her and she yelped (I think in fear), and I plopped her right down next to the pillow. I gave her no time to check out what was on the bed. She sat still for a good 30 seconds. This was the best photo I could get with the funky lighting in our master bedroom. 


Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At August 5, 2011 at 8:17 AM , Blogger Lindsay said...

I LOVE this! Ruffles are really cute on pillows! Great job!

 
At August 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM , Blogger Connys Cottage said...

great job


very cut your pilow

 
At August 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM , Blogger laxsupermom said...

What fun! Ruffles are so cute, and you did a great job! Thanks for sharing.

 
At August 5, 2011 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Anonymous said...

I love the ruffled trend. Great tutorial. I'd probably space the ruffles out abit more for the next pillow because Ilike the look of the top ruffles where you can see the shape of the ruffles more. I've seen them really close together too, so that's just personal choice. Still love it though!

 
At August 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Daffy's Dream said...

WOw! beautiful work, I love ruffle and this ruffle pillow is very cut

 
At August 5, 2011 at 7:43 PM , Blogger Fadas de Luz said...

Beautiful. I loved

 
At August 7, 2011 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Maya Kuzman said...

Can you believe that I am crazy about ruffles, yet I have no ruffled pillow at home??

 
At August 12, 2011 at 12:03 AM , Blogger Blissful & Domestic said...

I just wanted to let you know that I will be featuring your pillow tomorrow on my blog. Stop by and grab a button:>

 
At August 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM , Blogger Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Wow! This pillow is super cute and so chic! Ruffles are so in style! I am a new follower and would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/14/blog-party-3/

I look forward to blogging with you!

 
At August 16, 2011 at 11:24 PM , Anonymous Carolyn said...

An excellent idea! Love the ruffles.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home