This page has moved to a new address.

{Mini Tutorial} Creepy Critter Boxes

Sew Woodsy: {Mini Tutorial} Creepy Critter Boxes

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

{Mini Tutorial} Creepy Critter Boxes

I got the idea for this project originally from Tatertots and Jello with her {Creepy} Halloween Specimen Art tutorial, and then I saw the awesome "Glitter Spider Art" made by Ameroonie Designs. I knew I needed to make a version of my own, and I wanted to make it interchangeable for the holidays. I'm thinking tree's and snowflakes for Christmas, hearts for Valentine's day, 3 leaf clovers for St. Patrick's day, and eggs & bunnies for Easter! That's why I used foam core as the backing, so that I can easily take them out and replace them with a new background or scene.. This project maybe took me 30 minutes at most, and added a nice touch to all my Halloween decor!

Supplies Needed:
2 t-shirt shadow boxes ($4 each at Michaels)
burlap
2 pieces of foam core
hot glue gun & glue
stapler
scissors
creepy critters

1. Measure out enough burlap to cover the front. You'll see I had to use 3 pieces to cover the white foam core. You will want to staple each piece to the foam core. 

2. Next you will want to arrange your creepy critters accordingly, and then hot glue them on to the burlap. 

3. Place the foam core in the shadow box *the creepy critters should touch the glass or come close to touching the glass. Seal up the box, add a picture frame hook if necessary, and hang them up! 

Here is the finished project! 
We placed them in between our bloody guest bathroom and laundry room! 
Next year I'll add aged labels to the glass frames that describes each of the creatures making it more like a "specimen" box than a creepy critter box! 

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At October 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM , Blogger Daisy Day said...

Wow, so creepy! Love the spiders. What a creative idea. Thanks for sharing.

 
At October 26, 2010 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

I'm here from Hope Studios! Really like the burlap background, adds just the right touch.

Monika
iloveitallwithmonikawright.blogspot.com

 
At October 26, 2010 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Love this idea!!!

 
At October 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM , Blogger Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

Really nice. Very creepy! Thanks for linking my spider art.
xoxo
Amy

 
At October 27, 2010 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Decor To Adore said...

Eeek~ I love this! Your project is truly spooktacular!

 
At October 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah these are so cute! Thanks so much for coming and linking up at Handmade Tuesdays! Come link up next week!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Eeek~ I love this! Your project is truly spooktacular!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Monika Wright said...

I'm here from Hope Studios! Really like the burlap background, adds just the right touch.

Monika
iloveitallwithmonikawright.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home