This page has moved to a new address.

{Tutorial} Mummy Head on a Platter

Sew Woodsy: {Tutorial} Mummy Head on a Platter

Friday, September 17, 2010

{Tutorial} Mummy Head on a Platter

 
*My Version $18*
*Inspiration picture from Grandin Road*

The month of September is half way over, and that means that Halloween projects in our household have kicked up into full gear! Earlier this month I wrote an entry about some of the Halloween projects I'd like to take on before Halloween this year. All of the projects were based off of expensive decorations from Grandin Road. One of these projects was the Mummy Head on a Platter. It retails for $70. I knew I could recreate this project for way less and still acheive the look and feel. I'm so glad I gave this project a try! Super easy and it's going to look great with all my other decorations. Above you'll see the look I was trying to achieve from Grandin Road.

Materials Needed:
- 1 Styrofoam head  ($4 at beauty supply store)
-Platter of your choice ($1 at Dollar Store)
-Spray paint (if needed to spray platter) ($7 at Lowes)
-Spray Adhesive,





Drop Cloths, Scissors, & Exacto Knife (owned)


-Saw (to cut part of the head off) (owned)
-3 packages of cheese cloth ($2/each at Lowes)
-2 tea bags & water (to dye cheesecloth) (owned)
Total Cost of Project: $18

1. You will want to dye your cheese cloth using tea bags. This will give the bright white cheese cloth an aged effect. I simply brought 3 cups of water to a boil then seeped 2 tea bags. Let the tea come to room temperature, and then start putting a package at a time of cheese cloth into the tea mixture. Letting each package sit in the tea for about 2-3 minutes. Then I would quickly run it under cold water, ring it out, and then set it to the side. I did this technique 2 to 3 times with each package of cheese cloth. When you start to rinse the tea out of the cloth the color will start to come off. This is why I repeated this process multiple times. After the color was to my liking I let it air dry over night. 


2. Next you will want to spray paint your platter. I found this awesome platter at the dollar store for $1! I knew it would be perfect for what I needed it for, but I knew I would need to change the color. I applied a few coats of a crackle silver spray paint until I was happy with the color/texture. 


3. Next you will want to saw off a small portion of the head, so that the head sits lower to the plate. I let my husband handle this part. {I'm not fond of sharp objects!}

4. You will also want to carve out a portion of the mouth. I worked on some of this, but my husband felt the mouth needed a little extra help! Now it's already to be wrapped up! 

5. Next you will want to lay down some drop cloths either in your garage or outside (since you'll be using spray adhesive). You will also want to start cutting your cheese cloth into small pieces (this makes it much easier to adhere onto the head). 

6. Now you will want to start adhering one package of cheese cloth to the head. Lightly spray one portion of the head and start applying small pieces of cloth (there is really no precise way to do this). *Remember spray adhesive is very sticky, so be careful not to get it on your hands. If your hands start instantly sticking to the cloth. Go wash your hands and start working on the head again. Keep applying layers of the spray adhesive and cloth to the head. Once your done with the first pack you'll want to apply the second and half of the third package to the head, but without any spray adhesive. You will want the head to start having a more organic look. 

7. Your almost done. Place the mummy head on the platter. Take the last half of the cheese cloth and cut 3-4 inch wide strips. Wrap these around the neck of the mummy.

You now have a mummy head on a platter!

Here are a few more photo's of this delectable creature:
 

I made the cut! The CSI Project: 
Visit thecsiproject.com











Labels: , , , , ,

21 Comments:

At September 17, 2010 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

This is SO cool! I bought 4 of those Styrofoam heads a few weeks ago but haven't done anything with them yet. I will definitely be copying this idea!!! Thank you for the detailed instructions, especially for dying with tea bags. Never done that! Thanks so much for linking up to Get your Halloween On. I'm Facebooking this idea right now!

 
At September 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I was just reading the Grandin Road catalog last nite. They are ridiculous in their prices! This mummy head is great and I am jumping on it now!
Found you on Finding Fabulous.

 
At September 17, 2010 at 12:01 PM , Blogger Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

This is so so so so cool! I love it. Thanks for linking up at my Open House! I am now following you too.

 
At September 18, 2010 at 12:40 AM , Blogger Sawdust Girl said...

I Facebooked this and I also went out and bought a tray and some gauze. Actually I bought some curtains that I'm going to rip up to look like gauze. I'm so excited to make this. IT IS SERIOUSLY COOL!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM , Blogger Kristi Flanagan said...

How fun! I think I could scare some neighborhood kids with this! Hee! Hee!

Thanks for planting your creative seeds at Plant a Punkin Seed Party!

Kristi
Punkin Seed Productions

 
At September 18, 2010 at 4:08 AM , Blogger Michelle {Fun On a Dime} said...

My son would freak if we did this! He would never stop talking about it and probably make me keep it in his room year round! Thanks for the idea!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I love that you get your husband to help you with the creative process, mine is very helpful too. The project looks like it might be really complicated but you did a great job of showing all the steps and I really like the platter you choose to put your head on too! It's a very cool and spooky decoration for the upcoming season. Thank you for joining us at A Crafty Soiree! I hope you'll come back next week and link up again!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Mom in High Heels said...

This is so cool! I'm so going to have to do this! Thanks for the tute!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 4:00 PM , Blogger Judy Whatilivefor said...

That's awesome! I am loving all the Halloween decorations bloggers are sharing because I never would have thought about something like this!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

New follower from New Friend Fridays. so glad that I came across your blog. Looks really wonderful. Looking forward to reading more from you.

Marie
The Things We Find Inside

 
At September 20, 2010 at 8:50 PM , Blogger ndninla said...

I just saw something similar to this in the Martha halloween book. Yours looks much better and so life like!

@AngryChix

 
At September 22, 2010 at 9:03 AM , Blogger malia said...

this so cool it's scary! thanks for linking up to a crafty soiree last week. hope to see you again tomorrow! i'm your newest follower
malia
www.yesterdayontuesday.com

 
At October 4, 2010 at 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Love it... and it looks so real!

 
At October 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Lina Thomlinson said...

I've seen this project before on Martha Stewart's site and have been wanting to make it for myself. Yours look fantastic! I especially love the platter you chose. Great job! Spotted your link at eighteen25's link party.

 
At October 5, 2010 at 11:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so great! I like your version better!

- Megan
www.polishthestars.com

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Megan @ Polish The Stars.com said...

I just featured your project! :) http://www.polishthestars.com/2010/10/halloween-party-features.html

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous hearttreehome said...

What a great idea! Love it... and it looks so real!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Mom in High Heels said...

This is so cool! I'm so going to have to do this! Thanks for the tute!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Judy said...

That's awesome! I am loving all the Halloween decorations bloggers are sharing because I never would have thought about something like this!

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous Pattie said...

I was just reading the Grandin Road catalog last nite. They are ridiculous in their prices! This mummy head is great and I am jumping on it now!
Found you on Finding Fabulous.

 
At May 6, 2011 at 8:22 AM , Anonymous The Answer Is Chocolate said...

This is so so so so cool! I love it. Thanks for linking up at my Open House! I am now following you too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home