This page has moved to a new address.

{Tutorial} Yoga Skirt

Sew Woodsy: {Tutorial} Yoga Skirt

Monday, June 20, 2011

{Tutorial} Yoga Skirt

A few years back I bought a cotton knit skirt from Old Navy called a "yoga skirt". I believe it's called a yoga skirt because (in my mind) the fabric is made from the same fabric you'd typically find yoga pants made of. For the past few years I have worn my black yoga skirt time-and-time again. Probably at least once a week, and a year or two ago I realized that the fold from the skirt could be pulled up and I could wear it as a strapless dress. With that being said I knew I could make one, and wanted a new dress/skirt in my wardrobe. I studied my Old Navy yoga skirt and how it was constructed and then found a tutorial by Sew Mama Sew to give me a better idea of what I was doing! I had over 2 yards of a purple knit fabric, and decided to use that instead of spending more money on fabric. 

On a flat surface, I laid out the knit fabric in half, so that when I'd trace the dress I would have two pieces already cut out in the exact same shape. I laid my existing yoga skirt onto the knit fabric. *If you don't have a yoga skirt to trace measure from your hip to the length of where you would like the skirt to fall. Then to measure the band/top portion measure roughly 6inches. 

I then took my chalk pen and traced around the edge of the skirt. 

Before I cut the fabric I pinned around the chalk line ensuring that the two pieces would match perfectly.  *Remember, you will need two double sided pieces for the band (top portion). After cutting the first band I then traced around that band onto another portion of the fabric, pinned, and cut it out. 

Using a zig zag stich I sewed the the sides of the yoga skirts together (giving about 1/2 inch seam allowance). 
This is what the skirt will look like once it's sewn on each side. 

Once the sides are sewn together, lay the skirt flat and cut a straight line along the bottom of the skirt prior to sewing the seam. 

Pin a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of fabric to create your seam allowance and sew your hem. I used the zig zag stitch which gave the bottom a little flair at the ends. I will tell you that in no stretch of my imagination was this hem straight--it was all over the place. Sewing on knit fabric is not fun! Because it's a hem and it's knee length very few people are going to stair at your non-straight line. Don't be afraid if you don't get the stitch straight. I remind myself often that's how we learn from mistakes. No one is perfect!  

For the band/top portion I placed the two folded over strips of fabric together and sewed each side. You will want to have the top portion folded (you'll have no seam on the top just on the sides and the bottom portion will be open. Essentially you'll have three openings. The center opening is where your body will go. The other two openings will be sewn to the skirt portion. *If you are confused with my directions look at Sew Mama Sew's sketch to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. 

Next you will want to attach the band to the skirt (inside out) and sew the band around the skirt.

Here is what the skirt looks like inside out. *this is where I failed...  In my mind I thought it would like identical to my Old Navy skirt. I don't have a professional machine nor am I a professional, so I'm not sure I expected it to look like a manufactured version. Essentially I would have had an exposed seam showing for the top band. The goal was to have the exposed seam for when I folded over the band as a skirt (since no one would see the seam as long as I had a t-shirt covering it. Instead I had the finished seam exposed when I folded the band over for the skirt which means I am unable to wear this as a dress. I can only where it as a skirt. Oh well. I like it as a skirt, and I learned a lot and can't wait to make a dress version with my leftover fabric! 

Because I used a zig-zag stitch the bottom of the skirt has some body to it. 
I love this look and am so glad I accidentally used this stitch! I wouldn't want it any other way! 

Here is a full view of the skirt. 

Here is what the band looks like. 

How do you like my new skirt? 


Labels: , ,

25 Comments:

At June 20, 2011 at 9:57 AM , Blogger Krista said...

I want one! Why am I so scared to sew with knits?! I need to get over that, pronto.

 
At June 20, 2011 at 10:05 AM , Blogger Thendral said...

Lovely!
http://thendralscraft.blogspot.com

 
At June 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Anngela said...

Looks good Katie! I wanna try :) Maybe on our next sewing day--you can work on the patterned dress while I do one of these. :) Still not understanding your mistake for it to be a dress AND a skirt--I'll have to see in person! Good job though!! :)

 
At June 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM , Blogger Sara B. said...

Cute! I have 3 yoga skirts--1 from Shade Clothing & 2 from Land's End--that are staples in my summer wardrobe as well. I love the color of yours & I totally wish I knew how to sew!

 
At June 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Blogger Katy said...

that turned out really cute. I love the color (I'm really into purple this summer!)

 
At June 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM , Blogger laxsupermom said...

Cute! Love the color of yours! I love how forgiving knits are. Even when you're not sewing straight(always for me) the end result looks great. Yours looks super cute on, too. Thanks for sharing.

 
At June 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM , Blogger Lani said...

Dying to try one now! I've tons of thrifted jersey sheets in befitting summer colors to give this a go!

 
At June 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM , Blogger madison avenue said...

cute! i love that color!! comfy skirts are the best and that definitely looks comfy!
madisonavenue2011.blogspot.com

 
At June 21, 2011 at 7:13 AM , Blogger Tanya said...

looks comfy!

 
At June 21, 2011 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Youaretalkingtoomuch.com said...

I LOVE THIS! I am sooooo impressed. I want to get into the sewing thing so badly! But......the title of you post...YOGA skirt, freaked me out for a bit. I JUST started yoga...and was thinking how in the world would you wear a skirt? I think you might enjoy this post....check it out. http://youaretalkingtoomuch.blogspot.com/2011/05/d-i-v-o-r-c-e.html
Found you from Hope's linky party! Love, Me

 
At June 22, 2011 at 10:43 AM , Blogger steph chows said...

Super super cute!! Great job! I love wearing skirts I made myself :)

 
At June 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Christine - Tutorial Addict :) said...

SOOO CUTE! You did a great job! I totally agree with you, the body on the bottom looks great! Awesome tutorial! TFS!

 
At June 22, 2011 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Blissful & Domestic said...

This looks like a perfect summer skirt. Looks very cool and cute. I seriously need to make one:>

 
At June 22, 2011 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Maggie Lamarre said...

perfect for summer, luv that fabric..

Would luv for our readers to discover this.
please add it to our linking party here
http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/06/beautiful-furniture-redo-pop-up-cards.html
Have a great week,
Maggie
http://passionatelyartistic.com

 
At June 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM , Blogger Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Thanks for linking up! I'll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday!

http://sumossweetstuff.blogspot.com

Thanks!
Sumo:)

 
At June 23, 2011 at 2:30 AM , Anonymous Kristina said...

It fits you really well and I LOVE the color, great job!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Happy in red said...

Love it! I really like that type of skirt. So easy and nice to wear, goes with everything. Sewing stretchy fabric though, is a bit tricky to me!
Esther (http://happyinred.blogspot.com)

 
At June 23, 2011 at 9:33 AM , Blogger Lisa Nelsen-Woods said...

Like, Like, Likidey, LIKE! I love jersey skirts in the summer. They are dressier than sweats but just as comfortable.

For everyone afraid of sewing knits, buy and use a jersey needle. I used one when making a Tshirt quilt and it made sewing jersey a piece of cake!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Blogger ARK said...

so adorable! I'm all for sewing home decor stuff, but I'm still scared to try something I can actually wear...kudos to you!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 10:04 AM , Blogger ARK said...

so adorable! I'm all for sewing home decor stuff, but I'm still scared to try something I can actually wear...kudos to you!

 
At June 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love this!!!!! Great job! I love happy accidents, too :)

 
At June 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM , Blogger InMyOwnStyle said...

This is so cute and do-able. I love it and want to make one. I do not have a zig zag stitch on my machine. Do you think a straight stitch will work ok?

My best- Diane

 
At July 8, 2011 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Jessica@SewHomegrown said...

Adorable! I'll be linking on Facebook on my Follower Fridays segment - thanks for following Sew Homegrown!

 
At July 30, 2011 at 4:00 AM , Blogger Heather said...

If you ever do decide you don't want the ripples in the bottom of the skirt (or on a different project), just get out the iron, get it good and steamy, and press them into submission. Use lots of steam, and they will become smooth.

 
At July 30, 2011 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

Hmmmm, looks like that nice stretchy top might make it a good maternity skirt! Might try this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home