This page has moved to a new address.

Ribbon Rack {Tutorial}

Sew Woodsy: Ribbon Rack {Tutorial}

Monday, May 16, 2011

Ribbon Rack {Tutorial}

Once again, we are debuting a new item from our custom craft room that Mr. Woodsy constructed last year! Today we will show you how to build your own ribbon rack! Originally, I wanted this measly ribbon rack and shelving unit at Michael's. I brought Mr. Woodsy to Michael's to see it, and as soon as he saw it he said he could build one that was bigger and better for a fraction of the cost. I took him up on his offer, and voila! He came up with an 8 row ribbon rack! Once again, Mr. Woodsy has put together a brief tutorial on how to make your own ribbon rack. Remember, there are a wide variety of ways to make your own ribbon rack, this is just the approach he used! If you have questions, please don't hesitate to email us! 

For the ribbon rack I made a simple rectangular box with glued and nailed butt joints. You can personalize your ribbon rack to whatever size you wish, but remember to watch the length. If it's too long you might need to add a center vertical support for the dowels. The length of my dowels were 13.5”, if it's to long the dowels will bow. 

The length of the box on the inside is 13” so a ¼’ of dowel gets inserted in to the slots. As for the slots, I clamped the two sides together got an average size of the spools of ribbon (4  ½”) and divided the by the height of my box.  That gave me the amount of slots the I needed to route out.

I used a 3/8” upspiral bit to cut out each of the slots to the center of each of the side boards. Then I cut a 3/8” down cut to hold each dowel in place once mounted. 

*Pictured to the left is the ribbon rack and the right is the stamp rack*
I added bead board to the back of the rack for support and a little extra detail. Since we wanted all the furniture built for the craft room white, we painted the ribbon rack. I used a basic white water-based paint followed by a coat of water-based semi-gloss polyacryclic finish. *I did 2 coats of both white and polyacrylic. You can roll the white paint on but in order to get a smooth finish you must brush the polyacrylic on. 

Getting ready to nail the shelf in place. What is not pictured is the support brackets I made. It's up to you by the way you want to hang it. It should be wide enough to hit two studs in the wall if you want to hang it free standing. I didn't use that instead I used a scrap piece of wood that I mounted to the bottom and top (1 x 1). They were glued and nailed to the top and bottom of the rack. I then anchored and placed 2 screws in to the top and bottom parts of the wall. 
A few "test" rolls of ribbon on the rack... little did Mr. Woodsy know I would fill up the whole rack in no time! 


Here is what the ribbon rack looks like almost filled up! 


An upclose look of what the ribbon rack looks like filled. 

CraftGossip




Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

At May 17, 2011 at 9:13 AM , Blogger While They Snooze said...

That looks great! I want one, I want one! : )

 
At May 17, 2011 at 9:18 AM , Blogger Chris said...

This is awesome! I would love if you would drop by and share this at my party! Thanks. Chris
http://usandthem1971.blogspot.com/2011/05/link-party-3.html

 
At May 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM , Blogger Anngela said...

Good job Mr. Woodsy!!!! Looks very similar to mine though I like how your dowels slide out! :) I also love how we own at least half of the same ribbon haha

 
At May 17, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Blogger The Feisty Redhead said...

Love it! Wondering if it would work for thread, too.

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM , Blogger ccoffey said...

Wow, look at all that ribbon!!! Great job!

I did something similar but hung them on tension rods. Yours definitely holds more and will better stand the test of time. I'm experimenting to see which works best for me.

Again, looks great!

Cara

http://miscellaneousme.wordpress.com

 
At May 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

AWESOME!!! Really, this is such a nice rack. My 'Mr.' isn't handy like that.....You should be so thankful!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Tammy @ she wears flowers said...

This is exactly what I have told my husband I want (so he can make it, of course! ;) but the addition of the beadboard is fabulous! I am feeling so motivated to get these done! Thank you!!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for sharing at Us and Them! I hope to see ya back next week! Chris

 
At May 17, 2011 at 8:17 PM , Blogger AJ said...

awesome!!!!

 
At May 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM , Blogger Jen @ lil Mop Top said...

Turned out great! Wonder if I can convince my husband to make one for me too! :)

 
At May 18, 2011 at 2:22 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

This looks wonderful! I'm so pissed at myself for taking most of my ribbons off the spool things, now I can't store them properly, duh!

But I really like this idea so many just have to buy more ribbons to warrant making one!

Thanks for sharing.

 
At May 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger laxsupermom said...

The Mr. did such an awesome job on the ribbon rack! Love it! I'll have to put my own Mr. into action on one for me. Thanks for sharing.

 
At May 18, 2011 at 10:49 AM , Blogger AsylumTanya said...

The beadboard back is so clean looking! Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I'm visiting from Us & Them.

 
At May 18, 2011 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Blissful & Domestic said...

This looks awesome. I love it!

 
At May 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM , Blogger Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Oooh, that is SO COOL! I obviously need more ribbon...and a rack to put it on...

 
At May 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Mimi said...

What a great job here! And I am so envious - your Mr. is a lot more handy than my hubby!
Found you at Paisley Passions!

 
At May 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM , Blogger Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Love the beadboard. I see you have a handy hubby like I do. TFS! Stopping by from Rhinestone Beagle and your newest follower.

Come on by my blog when you have a moment. This is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.com/2011/05/wool-buffalo-check-coat-finished.html

 
At May 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM , Blogger a life made sweet... said...

i love it!! i have to show hubby so he can make one for me.. mine are all in a tote now. i love the access to the ribbon.

 
At May 21, 2011 at 12:46 AM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Super cute! I'm about to move and I'm super excited about my new craft room!! I love the bead board accent!

Tiffany, I blog over at http://itsacowgirlthing.blogspot.com/

 
At May 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh I love it!! I'd love for you to link up!

http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/05/welcome-to-party-im-so-excited-to-see.html

 
At May 25, 2011 at 12:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I featured you on Toast of Tuesday! Come grab a button!!

http://polkadotsonparade.blogspot.com/2011/05/toast-of-tuesday_24.html

 
At June 4, 2011 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

Well done! This turned out great. :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/how-to-make-a-ribbon-rack/

Thanks for inspiration!

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

 
At June 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM , Blogger Ani said...

That's a great idea for storing ribbons! Thanks for sharing!

 
At June 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM , Anonymous Red Sewing Box said...

I love it! I will try to make my own one for all my trims and ribons, thanks for sharing!

 
At August 22, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Anonymous julie said...

Love this! I saw something like this at a paper art store and wanted one for my sewing room, but didn't know how to make it. I'm also trying to learn woodworking!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home