This page has moved to a new address.

{Mini Tutorial} Up-cycled Dress to Skirt

Sew Woodsy: {Mini Tutorial} Up-cycled Dress to Skirt

Friday, June 3, 2011

{Mini Tutorial} Up-cycled Dress to Skirt

Many years ago (like 5+ years) I bought this Bitten dress. At the time it was Sarah Jessica Parkers hot new fashion line that had just came out. I was so excited--so excited that I only wore it ONCE after I purchased this dress. It has sat in my closet for years taking up valuable space. I cleaned out my closet a few months back and this was one of the items that I figured I could up-cycle. 

I started by seam ripping the zipper out of the dress. It was a perfectly good zipper and I had nothing better to do than sit on the couch, watch tv, and seam rip! 

I then cut the top from the skirt. 

I pinned the lining and outer skirt fabric together. Not pictured; I measured my waist, cut an elastic waistband, sewed the elastic waistband together to create a circle, and then began sewing the skirt onto the elastic waistband. My skirt fabric was much larger than my waist which aloud me to get the gathered look. While sewing I would pull on the elastic waistband which would allow the skirt fabric to gather. This project is very similar to my From Trash to Treasure post last September. 


Here is the finished product!

I absolutely LOVE it and am so glad I decided to make the 5+ year old brand new dress into a skirt!

 *Big thanks to Mr. Woodsy for taking 5 million photo's of me and having me critique him on each and every photo! 

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At June 3, 2011 at 8:11 AM , Blogger Katy said...

Visiting from "tickled pink." Your skirt turned out so cute. I love repurposing. I have a dress in my closet that I've been thinking about doing the same thing with.

 
At June 3, 2011 at 8:46 AM , Blogger Katie said...

@Katy--you should do it! I've done this a few times now and have never looked back! I end up wearing the skirts 10x's more than I ever wore the dresses!

The worst thing that could happen is that it doesn't come out the way you pictured it too. But it technically wouldn't be a waste since you were able to learn and practice sewing techniques!

 
At June 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Love it!

 
At June 3, 2011 at 2:35 PM , Blogger laxsupermom said...

So cute! I'm sure it was great as a dress, but I find that I wear skirts far more often than dresses. Love how easy this is! Thanks for sharing.

 
At June 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM , Blogger Kitty Deschanel said...

I posted a little surprise for you on my blog tonight :)
Don't forget to vote...and WAY TO GO!!

Btw, your pal Karen doesn't happen to be an art teacher, does she?

 
At June 5, 2011 at 10:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

super cute skirt!!!!

 
At June 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

Cute skirt!!! I'm a new GFC follower (Barb) and e-mail subscriber! I stopped by from the Sunday Blog Hop from Pink Dandy Chatter and Between the Lines.
Barb
FL MOM'S BLOG
http://flmoms-winterbabe98.blogspot.com/
barbs562 {at} gmail {dot} com

 
At June 7, 2011 at 12:45 PM , Blogger ~Beth D. said...

the dress was cute, but i love it as a skirt!!

 
At June 7, 2011 at 2:35 PM , Blogger annies home said...

what a lovely up do good for you will look perfect this summer

 
At June 7, 2011 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Jill said...

Great upcycle - it's such pretty fabric and a shame to have it sitting at the back of your cupboard!!

I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
Have a great week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success

 
At June 7, 2011 at 10:42 PM , Blogger Stephanie said...

This is such a neat idea, and it turned out great! I have a bunch of dresses in my closet that I don't wear. I must try this!

 
At June 7, 2011 at 11:17 PM , Blogger AsylumTanya said...

I love the print of your new skirt! I love the look of your new skirt! I simply love your new skirt! Thanks for sharing!

 
At June 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Chef in Training said...

great job! it is so cute! i am obsessed with skirts and this is just darling! I found your blog through a link party and i LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

 
At June 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Mindie Hilton said...

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

Come strut your stuff.

 
At June 12, 2011 at 5:06 PM , Blogger The Lawrences said...

super cute! love it!!

http://lalalawrence.blogspot.com/2011/06/gathered-camera-strap-cover.html

 
At June 26, 2011 at 11:48 PM , Blogger SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creative posts here. Can you please share them at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

PS: While you're there, can you also join the giveaway? Thank you :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home